A | B | C | D | F | G | H | I | J | L | M | N | P | S | T | U | W | 


Charging order (England & Wales)

If a creditor has a county court judgment against you, they may be able to apply for a charging order against your home.

A charging order gives the creditor security for the debt. In other words, the debt would become 'secured' like a mortgage on your house.

If you make objections in time, there must be a hearing in the county court before a charging order can be made final. There are several arguments you can use to try and stop this from happening. Read more about charging orders.

Child Benefit

Child Benefit is a non-means-tested, non-contributory benefit paid to a person who is responsible for a child or young person. Benefit is paid for each child under the age of 16 and for each young person up to the age of 20 who meets specific qualifying conditions. A higher amount of benefit is paid for the oldest eligible child. Read more about Child Benefit.

Child Tax Credit

If you are responsible for at least one young person or child who normally lives with you, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. The rate you receive will depend on your precise circumstances. Read more about Child Tax Credit.

County court (England & Wales)

In England and Wales, the county court deals with civil matters such as debts, repossessions and evictions. They do not handle criminal proceedings.

If you fall behind with repayments on a debt and the creditor decides to issue proceedings against you, this will almost always be in the county court. It is not usually necessary to attend the court itself as you can fill in reply forms to make offers of payment.

County court judgment (England & Wales)

If you cannot reach agreement with a creditor over how to repay a particular debt, they may decide to make a claim through the county court to obtain a county court judgment (CCJ) against you. The court is there to decide how much you should pay and can also look at any disputes about the debt. In most cases where you admit the debt and make an offer of payment you will not have to attend court as you can complete all the necessary forms by post. Read more about replying to a county court claim form.

If a creditor starts court action against you, you may need to seek urgent advice. Call National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 or search for a money adviser in your local area.